Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

+ - Up Down Comment Print
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

+ - Up Down Comment Print

이 편지는 분명히 일침(一針)의 충격이며 신랄한 질책이 아닐 수 없었다. 나보다도 훨씬 더 성실하게 그날의 일들을 기억하고, 또 간직하고 있었구나 하는 나의 뉘우침, 그 뉘우침은 상당히 부끄러운 것이었다.

These letters indeed were a shocking admonition, and no less than a sharp reprimand.  The remorse and the regret that they remembered and cherished the spring picnic more sincerely was quite shameful.

편지는 세 통이 모두 똑같은 내용을, 똑같은 잉크와 펜으로 쓴 것이었는데 아마 한 자리에서 서로 의논하여 손용대는 이덕원의 것을, 이덕원은 조대식의 것을, 조대식은 또 손용대의 것을 서로 넘겨다보며 쓴 것이 틀림없었다. 선생님을 사귀게 된 것을 기쁘게 생각한다는 것, 자기들 단체의 이름을 지었으면 알려달라는 것, 그 때 찍은 사진이 나왔느냐는 것, 그리고 건강하시기를 두 손 모아 빈다는 것 등이 적혀 있었다.

The three letters were written in the same ink and pen with the same contents. Perhaps, the boys wrote them at the same time in the same place, consulting one another and peeping over one another, by turns, Cho, Dae-sik over Lee, Duk-won, Son, Yong-dae over Cho, Dae-sik, etc.  In these letters they wrote that they were glad to have met me, that they wanted to know if I had come up with a name for their group, that they wondered whether the picture we had taken came out in good condition, that they prayed for my health with their hands pressed, and so on.

그 소풍 이후 약 보름가량을 나는 그들을 결과적으로 농락해오고 있었으며, 그날의 내 행위 그것마저도 결국 어린이들에 대한 무심한 '장난질'이 되어버린 듯 한 느낌이 왈칵 나의 가슴 한 모서리에 엉키어왔다.

During the fortnight or so after the picnic, I must have sported with them, making a charade of the memory of the day for what must have been a treasured memory for the kids. Overwhelmed with such a feeling, I felt an acute pang at a corner of my heart.

나는 강의가 끝나는 대로 즉시 서울대학교로 달려갔다. 그때 카메라로 사진을 찍었던 학생(송승호 아니면 이해익으로 기억된다)을 찾았다. 필름이 광선에 노출되어 못쓰게 되어버렸단다. 사진이라도 가지면 나는 나의 무성의한 소행을 조금이나마 만회할 수 있으리라고 생각한 것이 사실이다. 이제는 솔직히 그들에게 사과하는 길밖에 없다.

As soon as my class was over, I rushed to Seoul National University to meet the student (who I remember was either Song, Seung-ho or Lee, Hae-ik) who took the picture of us.  He told me that the film was damaged and the pictures did not develop properly.  In fact, I thought it possible to make up for my insincere behavior with the picture even a little.  Now the only way left was to frankly apologize to them. 

엽서를 띄웠다.  "이번 토요일 오후 다섯 시, 장충체육관 앞에서 만나자."

I sent a postcard to them, reading "Let's meet at 5 p.m. this Saturday in front of Jang-Chung Gymnasium."

ChungGuHoe27p.jpg

나눔글꼴 설치 안내

이 PC에는 나눔글꼴이 설치되어 있지 않습니다.

이 사이트를 나눔글꼴로 보기 위해서는
나눔글꼴을 설치해야 합니다.

설치 취소

Designed by sketchbooks.co.kr / sketchbook5 board skin

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5