토요일 오후 다섯 시, 장충체육관 앞의 넓은 광장에서

?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

+ - Up Down Comment Print

토요일 오후 다섯 시, 장충체육관 앞의 넓은 광장에서 우리 일곱 명은 옛 친구처럼 반가이 만났다. 그러나 이미 한 시간 전부터 나와서 기다리고 있었다는 이 녀석들의 '정성' 앞에서 나는 또 한 번 민망스럽고 초라할 수밖에 없었다. 한 시간이나 먼저 와 있었다는 사실이 무모한 시간의 낭비라고 생각되기는커녕 그들의 진솔함이 동상처럼 높이 올려다 보이는 것이었다

At 5 p. m. that Saturday, we, a company of seven, met like old chums in the square in front of Jang-Chung Gymnasium. On arrival, I found that they had been waiting for me for about an hour, and I could not help being embarrassed and flinched.  I did not think their early arrival was not time wasted.  Rather their earnest behavior seemed genuine and sincere.

이때부터 우리는 매월 마지막 토요일 오후 6시에 장충체육관 앞에서 만나기로 약속하였다. 이 약속은 1968년 7월 내가 구속되기까지 매우 충실하게 이행된 셈이다.

Since then, we had made it a rule to meet at six every last Saturday of the month in front of Jang-Chung Gymnasium, and this promise had been carried out faithfully until I was arrested in July, 1968. 

다만 만나는 시간이 조금씩 일러지는 기현상(?)을 연출한 일이 한두 번이 아니었다. 약속시간이 오후 6시임에도 불구하고 이 녀석들은 꼭꼭 5시부터 나와서 기다리는 것이다. 그래서 나도 약 30분가량 일찍 나타나서 5시 30분에 만나게 되면 이제는 4시 30분부터 나와 있는 것이다. 그러면 다시 내 쪽에서 30분쯤 더 일찍 나오지 않을 수 없게 되어 결국 6시에 만나자는 약속은 에스컬레이션을 거쳐 어느덧 5시로 변해버리고 마는 것이다. 그제야 우리는 군축회담이나 하듯 다시 6시로 되돌아갈 것을 결의하고 6시로 되돌아가면 다시 동일한 에스컬레이션을 거쳐서 다시 5시에 만나게 되곤 하는 것이었다.

Except one special phenomenon of moving up of the appointed time little by little.  If the appointment was at 6 o'clock, the kids showed up at about 5 and waited for me for an hour. Then, I came about 30 minutes earlier and we met at 5:30, but soon again, they came at about 4:30 and waited for me for an hour.  Then, I had but one choice of coming 30 minutes earlier, and the 6 o'clock appointment lapsed into 5 o'clock through several escalations.  Then again, we decided to make it at 6 through a process as if of a summit, only returning to 5 again going through the same escalation.

우리들이 만나서 하는 일이란, 무슨 할 일을 만드는 일 외에 아무것도 없었다. 그저 만나서 서로 그동안 있었던 일들을 이야기 나누는 그런 사소한 일에 불과하지만 그저 만난다는 사실 그것이 그냥 좋을 뿐이었다. 괜히 자기들끼리 시키지도 않은 달음박질 내기를 해보이기도 하고, 광장 가장자리의 난간에서 서로 떨어뜨릴 내기를 하거나, 모자를 뺏어서 달아나기를 하는 것들이 고작이었다. 10원에 5개씩 주는 아이스케이크를 나누어 먹으며 우리는 난간 부근에서 약 한 시간가량을 보내고 약수동 고개를 넘어 문화동으로 올라가는 입구까지 걸어가서 내가 버스를 탐으로써 헤어지곤 하였다.

The only thing we did together in our meeting was nothing but planning things we should do.  Although the session was composed of trivial things like greetings and sharing what happened to each of us, just the very fact that we could meet together was felt like a blessing.  The kids had races among themselves, or ran away with a friend's cap snatched, or had bets of throwing one another on the cliff edge of the square.  Sharing icebars that cost 2 won a piece, we spent about an hour around the edge, walked to the entrance to Mun-hwa Dong, passing through the ridge of Yak-su Dong, and parted when I got on a bus.

두 번째인가 세 번째 모임에서 우리는 상당히 건설적인 합의를 보았다. 문화동 입구의 작은 호떡집에서 '문화빵'(10원에 3개)을 앞에 놓고 매달 10원씩의 저금을 하자는 약속을 한 것이었다. 6명이 10원씩을 모으면 60원, 거기다 내가 40원을 더하여 매달 100원씩의 우편저금을 하기로 하였다. 수금과 예금 및 통장의 보관은 이규한 군이 책임지기로 하였다.

We had a very constructive agreement on the second or third meeting.  We made a resolution of each saving 10 won a month, with 'Mun-hwa Bread' in front of us at a small pan-cake house near the entrance to Mun-hwa Dong.  That is, we decided to save 100 won in total a month, with 10 won each from the 6 kids and my monthly installment of 40 won. Lee, Kyu-han was to take charge of the monthly deposit and the keeping of the bank book. 

한 달에 100원씩이라 하더라도 1년이면 1,200원, 10년이면 12,000원이다. 우리는 그때 10년까지 계산해보았다고 기억된다. 그날은 공책을 한 권 사서 그것을 우리의 회의록 겸 장부로 사용하기로 하였다. 특기해야 할 사실은 매월 저금하는 10원은 반드시 자기 손으로 번 것이어야 한다는 것을 결의하였다는 점이다.

Our account of 100-won a month would make 1200 won a year, and 12,000 won over 10 years.  I remember we calculated up to 10 years.  That day, we bought a notebook for bookkeeping and for recording minutes of the meetings.  One thing to notice was that the 10 won each of the kids had to save was to be earned on their own.

ChungGuHoe31p.jpg

나눔글꼴 설치 안내

이 PC에는 나눔글꼴이 설치되어 있지 않습니다.

이 사이트를 나눔글꼴로 보기 위해서는
나눔글꼴을 설치해야 합니다.

설치 취소

Designed by sketchbooks.co.kr / sketchbook5 board skin

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5