Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

+ - Up Down Comment Print
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

+ - Up Down Comment Print

가칭 '독수리 부대'이며, 옷차림이 똑똑치 못한 이 가난한 꼬마들과의 가느다란 인연은 이렇게 봄철의 잔디밭에서 진달래 맑은 향기 속에 이루어졌다. 이 짧은 한나절의 사귐을 나는 나대로의 자그마한 성실을 가지고 이룩한 것이었다. 나와 동행하였던 문학회 학생들은 아마 그날의 내 행위를 한낱 '장난'으로 가볍게 보았을 것이 사실이며 또 나의 그러한 일련의 행위 속에 어느 정도의 장난기가 섞여 있었던 것이, 싫기는 하지만 사실일지도 모른다.

My rather lean karma with these poor boys in shabby clothes, with the so-called "Soldiers of the Eagle Corps" was made in the midst of the fresh fragrance on the spring grass.  I carried out this short half-day meeting with them with sincerity of my own.  My company might have thought it as a sort of light play, and probably there was some element of it there indeed, however reluctant I might be to admit it.

그러나 마지막으로 나와 헤어질 때의 일……. 진달래 한 묶음을 수줍은 듯 머뭇거리면서 건네주던 그 작은 손, 그리고 일제히 머리 숙여 인사를 하는 그 작은 어깨와 머리 앞에서 나는 어쩔 수 없이 '선생님'이 아닐 수 없었으며, 선생으로서의 '진실'을 외면할 수는 도저히 없었던 것이다.

But the scene of their parting . . . . . . those little hands that handed the azaleas in shy hesitance, and the little shoulders and heads bowing deeply down to me to say good-bye, . . . . . . in front of them, I could not help being a 'teacher' and I could not turn away from the reality of my being a teacher.

이처럼 그날의 내 행위가 결코 '장난'이 아니었음에도 불구하고, 또 상당히 무구(無垢)한 감명을 받고 헤어졌음에도 불구하고, 나는 곧 그들을 잊고 말았다. 그들을 까맣게 잊고 말았다는 사실, 그것이 그날의 나의 모든 행위가 실상은 한갓 '장난'에 불과했었다는 것을 반증하는 것일 수도 있는 것이다.

As such, my behavior was not mere play, and I was touched not little by their innocence.  Nevertheless, I soon forgot them.  I forgot them completely, and the very fact may counter prove that my behavior of that day was nothing but a mere play.

서오릉 봄 소풍날로부터 약 15일이 지난 어느 날, 숙명여대 교수실에서 강의 시작 시간을 기다리고 앉아 있는 나에게 정외과의 조교가 세 통의 편지를 가지고 왔다. 편지를 건네주면서 "참 재미있는 편지 같아요."라는 웃음 섞인 말을 던지더니 내가 편지를 개봉하면 어깨너머로라도 좀 보고자 하는 양으로 떠나지 않는다. 그 조교가 "참 재미있는 편지" 같다고 한 이유는 겉봉에 쓴 글씨가 무척 서툴러서 시골 초등학교의 어느 어린이로부터 온 듯 할 뿐 아니라, 또 잉크로 점잖게 쓰려고 노력한 흔적이 역력하다는 점에 있었을 것이다.

One day after about a fortnight from the spring picnic to Seo-o-reung, while I was waiting for my next class in the faculty office at Sook Myung Women's University, the teaching assistant of the Department of Politics and Foreign Affairs brought  three letters to me.  When handing them to me, he spoke with a smile on his face, "These seem to be interesting letters."  He would not leave, as if he wanted to look at the letters over my shoulders when I opened them.  The reason why he said 'they looked interesting' was in the poor handwriting on the envelopes as if they came from children of some country elementary school as well as in their clumsy efforts to write rather maturely in ink.

조대식, 이덕원, 손용대 세 녀석이 보낸 편지였다. 이 녀석들이 바로 '독수리 부대' 용사들이라는 것은 겉봉에 적힌 '문화동 산 17번지'를 읽고 난 뒤에야 알 수 있었다.

They were respectively from Cho, Dae-sik, Son, Yong-dae and Lee, Duk-won.  It was only after reading the address on the envelopes, "San 17, Mun-hwa Dong," that I realized that the letters were from the Soldiers of the Eagle Corps.

"꼬마 친구들에게서 온 편지"라는 짤막한 말로써 그 편지를 전해준 조교의 질문과 호기심에 못을 박아버린 까닭은 내가 그 편지로 말미암아 무척 당황하였기 때문이었다.

The reason I blocked the assistant's curiosity and inquiry by bluntly saying, "these are letters from my little friends" was that I myself was very much embarrassed by the letters.

ChungGuHoe23p.jpg

ChungGuHoe23-1p.jpg

나눔글꼴 설치 안내

이 PC에는 나눔글꼴이 설치되어 있지 않습니다.

이 사이트를 나눔글꼴로 보기 위해서는
나눔글꼴을 설치해야 합니다.

설치 취소

Designed by sketchbooks.co.kr / sketchbook5 board skin

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5