Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

+ - Up Down Comment Print
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

+ - Up Down Comment Print

만일 이 꼬마들이 똑같은 교복이나 제복 같은 것을 입고 있었거나 조금이라도 더 똑똑한 옷차림을 하고 있었더라면 나는 좀 더 일찍 이 동행인(?)들을 알아차렸을 것이다. 여남은 살의 이 아이들은 한마디로, 주변의 시골 풍경과 소달구지의 바퀴 자욱이 두 줄로 패여 있는 그 황토 길에 흡사하게 어울리는 차림들이었다.

If these kids had been in school uniform or something similar to that, if they had been in better clothes, I probably would have noticed them a bit earlier. They were aged about 10 or so, and were dressed in clothing that blended into the rustic landscape and the country road that had two deep lines from traces of cart wheels. 

모표도 달리지 않은 중학교 학생모를 쓴 녀석이 하나, 흰 운동모자를 쓴 녀석이 또 한 명 있었던 것으로 기억된다. 운동모자는 여러 번 빨래한 것으로 앞챙 속의 종이가 몇 군데로 밀리어 챙의 모양이 원형과 사뭇 달라졌을 뿐 아니라 이마 위로 힘없이 처져 있었다. 그나마 흙 때가 묻어서 새하얗게 눈에 뜨이지도 않는 것이었다.

One was in a middle school cap without a school badge on it, and another was in a white sports cap, I remember.  The white sports cap was worn out by many washings, the paper in the visor was clustered in a few places and the shape of the visor was far from being the original round shape, drooping over the owner's forehead. Furthermore, stained with mud, it was hardly even white.

그중에서 가장 나의 시선을 붙잡은 것은 털실로 짠 스웨터였다. 낡은 털실 옷의 성한 부분을 실로 풀어서 그 실로 다시 짠 것이었다. 색깔도 무질서할 뿐 아니라 몸통의 색깔과 양팔의 색깔이 같지 않고 양팔 부분도 팔꿈치 아래는 다시 달아낸 것 같았다. 털스웨터의 녀석은 그래도 머리에 무슨 모자 비슷한 것을 뒤집어쓰기까지 했다. 

What caught my eyes most was a woolen sweater. The sweater seemed to be knit with recycled thread from old sweaters. The colors were in disarray, with different colors for the body and the arms, and the arms were again divided into two parts again with different thread being used from the elbow down.  The kid in that sweater had something like a cap on the head, though. 

나는 이 똑똑치 못한 옷차림의 꼬마들로부터 안쓰러운 춘궁(春窮)의 느낌을 받았던 것으로 기억된다. 자주 우리들을 할끔할끔 뒤돌아보는 양이 자기들끼리는 몰두할 만한 이야기도 별로 없는 듯하였다. 

I remember I felt sorry for these shabbily dressed kids, which reminded me of the desolation of the 'spring poverty,' the hardest period for farmers in early spring after all the food from the previous years harvest has dried up. They looked back at us as if they did not have stories to be deeply engaged in. 

처음에는 서오릉 근처의 시골 아이들이 제 집으로 돌아가거니 하고 아무렇지도 않게 여겼다. 그러나 시간이 오전 아홉 시. 제가끔 제 집들에 있을 시간이라는 생각이 뒤늦게 들었다. 그리고 그중의 한 녀석이 들고 있는 보자기 속에 냄비의 손잡이가 보였다. 이 여섯 명의 꼬마들도 분명히 우리 일행처럼 서오릉으로 봄 소풍을 가고 있는 것이다. 

My thoughts did not dwell on them long, thinking that perhaps they were on their way home nearby. Then, realizing that it was around 9 o'clock in the morning when they should probably be at home I found myself suddenly interested.  Besides I could see the handle of a pot through the narrow chink of a wrapping cloth which a boy held. These six little boys must have been going on a picnic to Seo-o-reung just like us. 

나는 이 꼬마들의 무리에 끼어 오늘 하루를 지내고 싶은 생각이 들었다. 나는 내가 속해 있던 문학회원들의 무리에서 이 꼬마들의 곁으로 걸음을 빨리 하였다. 

It struck me that I would like to join the group of boys and spend the day with them. I hastened and walked up near them, away from the group of the literary club members.
ChungGuHoe3,4p.jpg

나눔글꼴 설치 안내

이 PC에는 나눔글꼴이 설치되어 있지 않습니다.

이 사이트를 나눔글꼴로 보기 위해서는
나눔글꼴을 설치해야 합니다.

설치 취소

Designed by sketchbooks.co.kr / sketchbook5 board skin

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5